Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Branding Life.

image

If there’s one thing I learned last week it’s how important branding really is. Whether it’s for company or for personal reasons, branding leaves an impression on people and you definitely want it to be a good one.

After participating in uPRise PR’s Twitter chat on branding last Monday, I was inspired to finally figure out my brand— personal and blog. Once I asked myself a few questions and redesigned a few things, my babies were born.

Below I’ve listed a few tips to help you with branding.

Determine a direction 
What makes you unique? What are your skills? What are your values? Who are you trying to reach? What topics will you discuss? What do you want people to remember about you/your blog?

Be unique 
Obviously if you’re doing personal branding, your brand name would be your name; but if it’s for a blog, the name that you choose should be unique. I suggest thinking of a few words/phrases that define you or define what you’re trying to convey to your audience.

Keep it simple 
Whether it’s a blog logo or your personal logo, make sure the overall designs (ie the colors, font/typography) all represent your brand. Since no one wants their logo to look like a toilet, I suggest looking at logos from your peers or even personal/blog logos on Google! Also, the layout of your personal website or blog is important. I doubt anyone wants to see a website that has images and words just thrown together for sake of having a site. Remember, K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, silly)

Be consistent 
This is probably something you already know but it’s so true. Be consistent with the names you choose across social media, with what you write about, how often you post, etc.

If you’re thinking of branding/rebranding, be patient and good luck! To quote Amazon founder, Jeff Bezos “Your brand is what people say about you when you’re not in the room”. So, what does your brand say about you?

Do you have any branding tips? Leave a comment below!

image


(photo credit: memeburn.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment