Friday, February 7, 2014

Feature Friday: Samantha Dickson.

                      image

  • Brea: Tell me about yourself.
Samantha: I am 22 years old and I am originally from a small-town just outside of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I attended Queen’s University for my undergraduate degree where I completed my BAH in Political Science and Sociology. I just recently moved to New York City to pursue my Masters in Public Relations and Corporate Communication at New York University. This was definitely a dream come true. I have a love for traveling, chocolate and social media!

  • B: Why PR?
S: I grew up thinking I wanted to be a lawyer. It took a lot of convincing myself not to apply to law school (I even wrote the LSATS). I think what it came down to was the fact that my heart wasn’t in it any longer. After much deliberation, I reflected on my internship experience and I realized how much I loved communications. I chose public relations because it was a career that reflected everything I was passionate about.

  • What area of PR are you most interested in and why?
S: Such a tough call! There are so many great industries to explore when it comes to public relations. Currently, I am exploring the hospitality and lifestyle side to the career. I grew up with a chef in the family, and I’ve always had an interest in exploring new restaurants. Since I love to travel, I find the travel/tourism side quite appealing as well. I think I am just open to exploring the possibilities until I find the right fit.

  • B: There are a few articles that discourage students from going to grad school for PR, why did you make the decision to go?

S: I get this question a lot – and I’m thinking it will eventually turn into a blog post! First, I will definitely say that it’s a personal preference. The whole debate comes around full circle when people realize that it really just comes down to deciding what’s best for you. Graduate school isn’t for everyone, and there are plenty of positions available in public relations for recent graduates who just finished college.

In my opinion, I would never discourage any student from attending graduate school. I think it is a unique quality when an individual is looking to learn more. You can never be over-educated in your profession. There is always going to be something more for you to learn. Certainly, there are merits to jump-starting your career right after you finish college. The practical experience from an internship is vital to understanding the true aspects behind the profession. Since I had internship experience in the field already, I recognized how much I wanted to learn more behind the profession. The decision was really about what was best for me at that time in my career. So far, I think it’s the best decision I’ve made for myself.

  • B: Tell me about your internship at the Greater Dufferin Area Chamber of Commerce.
S: My internship was an incredible learning experience. I held the position for three consecutive summers. I learned a lot about what it takes to communicate effectively, and how important it is to say what you mean. The event management side to the internship was also an added bonus. I helped plan and execute golf tournaments, women in business conferences, networking events and Home & Lifestyle Shows. It offered me a very well rounded view of the profession, and I was fortunate to have the opportunity to dabble in all the different aspects of the field.

  • B: I absolutely love your blog One Heel Ahead! What inspired you to start blogging?
S: Thank you! I have held a number of blogs before One Heel Ahead, but none of my ideas stuck. I think what eventually caused me to pick a final re-brand was figuring out what I was truly passionate about. The main thing that drives your blog is having creative content. If you can’t generate something to say, your blog won’t last. As well, I love to write. One Heel Ahead gave me the opportunity to combine my passions, and I am incredibly grateful for all my regular readers!

  •  B: For the random part of the interview, what song best describes your life right now and why?
S: Absolutely loved this question! When I first read it, I instantly thought of Sara Bareilles’ – Brave. It’s such an uplifting song that really encourages people to be courageous and stay true to themselves. Plus, it is a reminder to be brave, and to not be afraid of taking chances.

  • B: Anything else you’d like to add?
S: When it comes to your career, always stay patient! It’s important to keep moving forward, and in the direction of the things you wish to accomplish. Have faith that you are one step closer to achieving your goals!



Connect with Samantha: Twitter | Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment