Monday, February 17, 2014

K-pop Ruined My Life (Part 2 of 3): Rain Bi.

image

Where I last left off in my tragic tale, I had just opened up a can of worms— one that I ultimately decided I did not want to close…not just yet anyway. While Girl’s Generation had given me my first taste of what K-pop was, it was something, or rather someone, else who sealed the deal on my K-pop addiction.

Anyone who knows me has heard this name at least once: Rain Bi (pronounced like the letter ‘B’).

He’s been in a few Hollywood productions but most notably in American film as the main character in the movie Ninja Assassin. Rain also had a lead role in Speed Racer the movie and he’s currently filming The Prince. He even won the Biggest Badass Award at the MTV Movie Awards in 2010 for Ninja Assassin. (If you haven’t already, check out his other acting roles).

Anyone whose ever used Youtube knows that you start off watching one thing and suddenly you’re watching a video about terrible parents who feed their infants lemons just to get a laugh. Well somehow I ended up watching his performance of “Hip Song” and it really changed the game for me.

That tight white dress shirt.

That dance.

His perfect JB swoop.

I was totally and completely in love. I showed this video to anyone who I could tie to a chair long enough. (Sorry, Shadizzle) It’s also what really sent me down a dark and terrible K-pop path.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3olDmbS0s7Q]

I love him. I really do.

(SN: I chose to include his live performances versus music videos because it’s the only way you can see even a fraction of the charisma that this man has.)

"It’s Raining" is one of his signature songs and this video includes a short and sweet little MJ tribute at the beginning.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqnHy5o2BXA]

After returning from a mandatory military training, one of Rain’s first performances was at one of the biggest music award shows in Asia, called the Mnet Asian Music Awards. I hadn’t seen him in two years so my poor fangirl heart just couldn’t take it. The winking, the smiling, the dancing. Goodness gracious the camera just loves his face.

I have watched this video an unhealthy amount of times. Please do not do the same. One time should suffice.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L45Y2r7wR8]

Rain Bi is the reason I am in so deep to my K-pop addiction. He’s the one who took me from watching a simple music video to watching every live performance available on the internet of him. I have watched every subtitled video of him online. I’ve seen all 16 episodes of his K-Drama Full House. I’ve even seen the terrible Speed Racer movie, just to see him. His picture is the lock screen and the wallpaper on my phone, no lie.

It was through Rain and Girl’s Generation that I decided to see what else K-pop had to offer, so I ventured off into new artists like 2NE1, Big Bang, and so many more. My addiction had gone beyond just music. A new world of movies, dramas, variety shows, debuts, and comebacks had just been presented to me.

There was so much to choose from. Where did I start?…To Be Continued

Missed Part 1 of the series? Check it out here.

(photo credit: Ningin)

This post was written by Josein Wilson, who is a graduate of University of South Florida and is currently a student at Florida Atlantic University. When Josein isn’t at work, school or watching Korean drama’s online, you can find her practicing nail art and makeup looks via Youtube. Tweet her at @datgirljosey

Connect with Josein: Tumblr | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment