Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Are Creative Resumes Professional in PR?

image


I’ve been job searching for a while now and have yet to land even a simple interview…WOMP! Because of this, I often wonder if I’m not getting hired because of my résumé.

During my last semester in college, I took a PR Design class. One assignment my professor gave us, was a personal brand project that involved creating a résumé, cover letter and business card using Adobe InDesign. He encouraged us to Google unique résumés to get our creative juices flowing and man did mine flow! All the graphics and typography I saw on résumés had me like this:

                                                               image

Lol seriously, they all looked so nice. So I ended up designing a creative résumé but a simple version of one. I designed a logo and rearranged the placement of my work history, education, and other information that makes up a résumé.

Needless to say I was proud of myself for creating something that couldn’t be made in a Word document, and for learning more about InDesign. Personally, I feel that creative résumés help your resume stand out in the gigantic stack that’s overflowing in HR’s email inbox/desk.

After seeing all types of non-traditional résumés like extremely awesome creativevisual résumés, to ones more on the simple side, I just have to ask. Are creative résumés accepted or seen as professional in PR?


I’ve applied to a few places and I’ve gotten emails back saying they “loved the format” and I even asked a few folks on Twitter what their thoughts were.




I really do love my resume and I’ve heard of people getting hired with creative resumes, so I’m going to continue to hope for the best.

If you haven’t Googled ‘creative resumes” already I encourage you to do so. Also, Sissy Yee, a past Feature Friday interviewee, designs resumes! Check out her business Resume Rawr.

Post your comments below! I’d love to know your thoughts on creative résumés.

image


(photo credit: JPatrick.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment