Friday, February 14, 2014

Feature Friday: Elvira Guzman.

PR pro and author of Your Blueprint: An Interactive Guide to Remembering Your True Purpose in Life, Elvira Guzman is basically the bees knees.

Guzman started her own PR & Branding company at 23 years old, worked under comedian, radio host, actor and author Steve Harvey for 9 years and was recognized by magazines such as: Sister 2 Sister Magazine, Urban Influence Magazine and Latina Magazine. She has produced a number of radio and television shows and is making her way to the movie scene.

In this interview, she reveals how she got her start in the wonderful world of PR.


image

  • Brea: You have a Political Science/Law & Society degree. What attracted you to Public Relations?
Elvira: I was living in New York working for Steve Harvey and he would ask me every day what I wanted to do with my life now that I had graduated from USC. He knew that I could do anything I wanted because I had literally held almost every position at his company and was successful. I honestly didn’t know because I no longer wanted to become a lawyer and I didn’t care for the Hollywood life anymore.

One day he sent me on a meeting with a successful publicity company owner, and she told me that she was a TV and music producer in addition to representing top celebrities. I didn’t know you could do it all via the publicity umbrella because you get to know everyone. So I quickly decided I wanted to start my own company…a publicity and branding company but in Los Angeles. Close to my family.

  • B: Your resume is a PR student’s dream! You’ve worked in so many areas of Entertainment PR ranging from music to television. What was your favorite area to work in and why?

E: Thank you! That is a great question. I would have to say radio because it was my first love. In radio you become a family with your co-workers and if you are lucky enough to be on a successful show, as it gets bigger so does your salary, trips, business deals etc. radio is a very powerful selling tool so the money is GOOD! It’s also great because you get to break new artists and see their career boom from something small you did. It’s a great feeling.

  • B: At 23 years old you started Elvie G PR. What was that process like?
E: I moved to Los Angeles from New York and bought a 2 bedroom condo and started Elvie G PR in the 2nd bedroom with 3 of my girlfriends. The company grew really fast because I was the main talent booker for Steve Harvey. Once celebrities knew I was doing PR, they wanted me to represent them because they knew my rolodex was long. Eventually I ended up relocating to offices off of Sunset and were featured on a show on BET called “Being Terry Kennedy” to be the branding coach for Terry.

  • B: It’s no secret that Steve Harvey has made an impact in your life, What was one thing he’s told you that you’ll always remember?
E: To never fear any man but God. Knowing that I can walk into any meeting with all the confidence in the world.

  • B: Any advice for aspiring PR professionals?
E: The best advice I can give to aspiring PR professionals is to establish relationships in entertainment before becoming a publicist because a PR with no contacts is useless. Also to be patient because nothing happens overnight in Hollywood.

  • B: For the random part of the interview, what song best describes your life right now and why?
E: Recently I was speaking at a Juvenile Hall and a girl raised her hand and she said “So you really started from the bottom and now you’re here right?” and I said “I guess you’re right…” and I’m not too sure about the rest of the lyrics but the hook is a correct representation of my journey.

When I first started I was the floor mopper, intern, assistant and I went to school while working 2 jobs full time (100.3 The Beat & Steve Harvey) and worked hard and now I sit next to owners of major companies like Walmart, Metro PCS and Lionsgate. I do feel I am here but I would have never arrived without passion and God.

Connect with Elvira: Twitter | Website | Facebook

Be on the lookout for Elvira’s film “I Really Hate My Ex” set to premiere soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment