Friday, February 21, 2014

Feature Friday: Aurian Shervington.

                
  • Brea: Tell me about yourself
Aurian: Ha, the dreaded interview question! Just kidding.Well, my name is Aurian (pronounced Ah-ree-on) but everyone calls me Auri. I’m in my last semester of graduate school at the University of South Florida majoring in Sport and Entertainment Management. It’s a dual degree program (MBA and MS) and I’m proud to be in the inaugural class! I actually graduated from USF with a BA in Political Science, random I know.

I work as the Event Marketing Resident at the Tampa Bay Times Forum and I love PR and Marketing. I also like food. Actually I love food. And music. And laughing. And food.


  • B: If you could go back to undergrad what would you do differently?
A: My initial thought was “Change my major!” but in all honesty, I wouldn’t change anything. I learned so much about myself in undergrad; I feel so blessed and grateful to have had the experience. I learned to take care of myself, be comfortable with who I am and to do what truly makes me happy. I know it sounds corny and a bit cliché but I seriously, and unknowingly, found myself.

I also found out that my lifelong mission to be an attorney was no longer my dream. I initially wanted to venture into Sports Law but quickly realized that I needed to work with people and create ideas. After taking on a few internships in sports marketing and entertainment PR, I figured out what worked for me.


  • B: What area of PR are you most interested in and why?
A: I’m definitely interested in entertainment PR. My first experience in entertainment PR was at my internship for a boutique entertainment and sports group in Tampa. I was the Publicity Coordinator for a rookie NFL player and learned so much about patience and how to draft my first press release. Working in event marketing has been amazing and I’ve been able to watch various players like the publicist, agent, tour manager and media reps in action. I love being in the thick of things and compiling strategies for clients. It’s also a great challenge to pitch shows and artists to fit with the appropriate media outlet. Learning what works and what doesn’t work for each individual artist and show is exciting.


  • B: Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! How has your MBA program helped you prepare for post grad life?

A: Thank you so much! My program has helped in ways I couldn’t imagine. Although I love pop culture, sports and entertainment as a whole, I was only aware of the glitz and glamor. Through my program, however, I’ve learned the business behind the sport and entertainment industry. Marketing and public relations are just a few concepts I’ve studied more in depth along with communications, organizational leadership, finance and ethics. I’ve done consulting projects for NBA and NHL teams and I’ve seen my strategic business ideas implemented in-arena. All of these business components have helped me to gain a better understanding of what I want to do and how I can be an asset to a company. I’m hoping these transferable skills will lead me in the right direction once I graduate.


  • B: You have a residency at the Tampa Bay Times Forum, what is a typical day like for you?
A: I will say that no two days are alike! Working with shows and concerts means a lot of different projects and several moving parts. One day I’m helping with media buying and the next I’m contacting local charities to attend a show. On special occasions I get to work on huge projects, like a press conference for the iconic Billy Joel. So many moving parts. On a daily basis, my consistent tasks include research, social media blasts, creating content for our weekly newsletter and coordinating day-of-show media personnel. It’s normally a fast-paced environment but I love it.
  • B: What is your dream job?
A: It would be a DREAM to work for Roc Nation! I’ve been following Roc Nation for years now and I just truly respect the brand and the leadership. Jay Z is not a businessman; he’s a business, man! I follow Jana Fleishman on Twitter and Instagram to keep up with all things Roc Nation. I’ve even set up Roc Nation Google Alerts on my phone! Add in the fact that Roc Nation Sports has the best of the best young athletes on its roster…I get goosebumps thinking about it. I’ve made it a personal mission to land a job there in the future, I tweeted that to Jay Z himself!


  • B: For the random part of the interview, what song best describes your life right now?
A: That’s a great question. Well, it has to be a Beyoncé song simply because Beyoncé knows my life. I think “***Flawless” would be my “life song” right now. I’m at a great place personally and I feel like I’m ready to take on the world. I’m confident, eager and screaming “I am woman, hear me roar!” in a male-dominated industry. I love that the song is aggressive and in-your-face, yet sassy and powerful. Plus, I get so hype and love waving my hands when I sing “I woke up like this”!


Connect with Aurian: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | LinkedIn

No comments:

Post a Comment