Sunday, June 15, 2014

To My Dad on Father's Day.


I usually don't post about my family or other personal things,besides this post grad life I'm living, but I just thought I'd leave this here.

The text below was written on June 19, 2011 (Father's Day) on my Tumblr page...

The past couple of years have NOT been easy. I sit and think about how much of a brat I was to you. You gave me tough love and TLC even when I didn’t want it from you. I hurt your feelings many times, tried shutting you away from me for no reason, and yet you continued to be there for me anyway.

Sure you whooped me even when I was in high school, took my door off the hinges, threw a paper towel roll at me and wished you had something harder to throw (lol) but every day you would remind me how much you loved me and would miss me when I went off to college. You even asked if we could do daddy/daughter stuff before I left, but of course, I was so wrapped up in wanting to leave the house that I didn’t want to do anything with you or mommy. 

The month before my 18th birthday we didn’t speak (for who knows what reason), and you still picked me up from school even though I could’ve walked; and gave me lunch money when I could’ve packed a lunch or ate nothing…


Not all times were bad, in reality you really were like my best friend. When I knew I couldn’t go to mommy to talk to about things you were always there to listen. When I thought I was Picasso you took me to art classes; when I decided to join Yearbook in high school you supported me by driving me around town to businesses to buy ads (which I won a limo ride for because I sold the most ad spaces); whenever I had to cheer at a game, you were there; and you even took me 2 hours away to go see my favorite singer, Chris Brown, in concert and sat outside for 4 hours waiting on it to finish. I ask myself all the time what kind of parent would do that?
 
Now that I’ve realize how blessed I was to have such an AWESOME dad that cared about me and was an active part in my life, my WHOLE life, I really wish I had the opportunity to tell you thank you for all you ever did for me and that I’m sorry for all those bad times we spent that don't mean a thing now. Not everyone is fortunate enough to even live in a two parent household, and I wish I wouldn't have taken that for granted.

Sometimes I just sit and cry thinking about you and what you would think of me now. I’m truly greatdul to have had you as my dad for 19 years. Although I wish you were here so I could annoy you, especially during big moments in me and mommy's lives, I know that as every day goes by I’m just one day closer to hearing your voice again, being embraced by your big bear-like hugs and seeing that big ol’ smile on your face. Happy Father’s Day in heaven, daddy!
 I LOVE AND MISS YOU ALWAYS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment