Tuesday, December 24, 2013

5 Songs to Get You in The Christmas Spirit.

Tragically Florida has decided not to participate in winter this year so I haven't really been in the Christmas spirit. WOMP! Thanks to a few old school tunes, I start reminiscing about those times during my childhood when the house was decorated in red & green garland and there were multicolored lights around the tree.
In my family we had a pretty soulful Christmas, but I also grew up during the late 90's/early 00's pop era so you can guess what I was listening to during the holidays. Lol Check out a few of my favs below.

Mariah Carey- All I Want For Christmas is You
  • If this song doesn't make you want to go outside and make snow angels or have a snow fight with your family then I don't know what will. This album is actually really great but this song alone screams Christmas to me.


Luther Vandross- Mistletoe Jam
  • Luther put his foot in this one! It makes me want to get up and do the electric slide. Just click play and tell me if I'm wrong.


Quad City DJ's- 12 Ghetto Days of Christmas
  • For as long as I can remember, every year on Dec. 1 the local urban radio station, 102 JAMZ (RIP :( ), would always play this hood Christmas classic. To this day, I bankhead bounce, Cabbage Patch and do I nice little two step to this jam.


N'SYNC- Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays
  • You're not a true 90's kid if hearing this doesn't put in you in the Christmas spirit. Having Justin, JC, Joey, Lance and Chris sing about how warm and fuzzy Christmas makes them feel would obviously make you want to roast chestnuts by an open fire.


Donny Hathaway- This Christmas

  • Often imitated but NEVER duplicated, Donny Hathaway is the King of Christmas in my opinion. I feel like this man's voice was touched by the Lord himself to spread Christmas cheer and no one can tell me any differently. The words of  'This Christmas' even gives me a visual of my family and I during the holidays. UGH!! I LOVE IT! The original will forever and always be my favorite.


To avoid making this post any longer than it already is, I'll just list some of my other favs: Sleigh Ride (TLC), Let it Snow (Boyz II Men), Silent Night (The Temptations), Give Love On Christmas Day (Jackson 5), and about 187656 more that I can't even think of right now. Lol
I hope you all are enjoying the holiday and spending time with the ones you love. Merry Christmas, everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment