Friday, April 4, 2014

Feature Friday: Susset Cabrera of Peacock Public Relations.

Susset Cabrera is a public relations professional and blogger behind Miami Beats and Sazon, which features local events, charities and more around the Miami area.

Founded by Susset in May 2010, Peacock Public Relations is a full-service public relations, marketing, events and social media company headquartered in South Florida. The company has established a diverse clientele including professionals and institutions from the retail, music, fashion and entertainment industries.





  • Brea: You have a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration. What attracted you to Public Relations?
Susset: Right after graduating from the School of Business at the University of Miami, I ran into my advisor from The Miami Hurricane Student Newspaper (I had worked at the newspaper since freshman year in college). This professor asked me what my plans were “now that I had finally graduated” and I told him I wanted to pursue an MBA. But, he suggested I look into a masters degree in public relations since I was always very social throughout my college years. I personally didn’t know much about the field because they didn’t offer PR classes at the business school. However, once he explained the functions of PR to me, I felt like I had been a publicist without even knowing it. During my time at the newspaper, I pitched my friend’s band to the music editor and they ended up running a full page cover story on their new work. It was definitely one of those “aha” moments for me!


  • B: PR students often hear that there is no need to pursue a master’s degree in PR. What made you want to attain your degree in that field?
S: Well, I had the opportunity to pursue a graduate degree and I wanted to focus on a specific industry rather than go for an MBA which is pretty general. Once I learned about PR and it resonated with my interests, I decided that I needed to learn as much about the field as possible. My graduate degree has definitely molded me into an expert in my field and I’m proud of the hard work I had to go through to finally obtain my second advanced degree.


  • B: Did you experience any post grad hardships and how did you overcome them?

S: I definitely felt the pains of job hunting after graduation. I graduated in 2009, which was a low point in the state of our country’s economy. I began to worry that I would never find a job. After many interviews, I met my first client who proposed the idea of starting my own company in order to work as her publicist. The rest is history!




  • B: What inspired you to choose the name of your PR firm, Peacock Public Relations?
S: I always wanted to name my company something “BIG!” As a business student, my ultimate goal was to run my own company one day but I figured I would work in the corporate world for two years or so before taking that leap of faith. I always wanted to name my company “Empower PR” or “Empire PR” but both names were taken in the state of Florida. The day before I opened my company, I was sitting in my backyard and began staring at a vase that my mother always had as a centerpiece on a table. I noticed there was a beautiful blue peacock on the vase so I looked up the symbolism behind the bird and I was sold! It wasn’t taken in my state so Peacock PR was born. In hindsight, a peacock attracts attention which is essentially what I’m working towards for my clients!


  • B: What is your favorite way to unwind after a long day of work?
S: I recently joined the gym and I enjoy spending time with my girlfriends. The perks of living in Miami is that there is always something fun to do with your friends! I have no complaints and I can always find ways to unwind.

  • B: In addition to being President of Peacock Public Relations, the blogger behind Miami Beats and Sazon, you are also a member of many organizations in South Florida. How do you find time to balance work and personal life?
S: I keep an updated to-do-list every day. It does get overwhelming sometimes if events or meetings happen to fall on the same day but I always seem to manage all of my responsibilities. It’s actually fun to stay busy as long as you’re passionate about the organizations you support or the clients you service.

  • B: What is one essential skill you believe has helped you succeed in PR?
S: My organization skills. Things can easily fall through the cracks if you’re not on top of your game. I would definitely not be where I am today if I didn’t have this crazy need to be organized at all times!


  • B: In your opinion, which social media platform is best for a PR professional?
S: I personally love Twitter. I’ve discovered so many great articles or events by scrolling through my timeline. It’s also a wonderful way to make new connections with media professionals from all over the country (not just on a local level). If you dedicate enough time to your account on a weekly basis, you’d be surprised at how beneficial it can become for your career.




  • B: For the random part of the interview, what song best describes your life right now and why? 
 S: “Roar” by Katy Perry. When I first started my career, I was naive and I was used to living in a bubble (the University of Miami bubble where I was safe from the real world). After working in PR for a few years now, I can honestly say that I have finally grown a tough skin and I’m confident in my abilities and talents. 


  • B: If there is one thing you could tell an aspiring PR professional what would it be?
S: Make sure you understand the importance of relationships. They are your golden keys in this career and the earlier you begin to work on your connections…the stronger you’re chances of becoming a reliable and sought after PR professional. That’s the most important advice in my eyes!


Connect with Susset on Twitter at @SussetCabrera or @ThinkPeacockPR

(Photo credit: Natalie Edgar Website | Twitter | Instagram )

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey it was a very nice blog.Thanks for sharing your PR experience.Hope it is going great Further while surfing on internet. I found one such Public Relations Firms in miami named VINECOMMUNICATIONSINC providing brand & product promotion in Miami so thought to share it with you.GOOD LUCK.

    ReplyDelete