Friday, March 7, 2014

Feature Friday: Elise Sabak.

                                     image




  • Brea: Tell me about yourself
Elise: I’m a soon to be graduate from Wayne State University in Detroit with a degree in English. I’m a fashion and beauty obsessee but I definitely was not always that way. I grew up a science geek (and somewhere in my heart I still am one) and one day picked up an issue of Teen Vogue and it changed my life. The fashion industry inspires me every day, and it spans beyond clothing. I love the designers, the seasonal strategy and the concepts of merchandizing.

Oh! And I’m a caffeine addict. My preferred modes are slurpees and iced lattes, extra shot.


  • B: Congrats on your upcoming graduation! What advice would you give to students just beginning their undergrad journey in PR?
E: Thank you! I am so excited (also a bit scared!). Most people would say networking, which is so true—it’s never too early to start. But, I think that students just starting in any field, but particularly in PR, need to sit down for a couple hours and think about their decision and ask themselves a few reflective questions.
1) Is PR something that you want to challenge yourself with every day?

2) Why PR? Because it’s glamorous (because take it from me, it is not glamorous every day)?

3) Are you going into this field for the right reasons?
Making a pros and cons list and taking time to reflect on your decisions will help you grow, and hopefully motivate you to take the next steps in school, such as joining PRSSA.


  • B: What area of PR are you interested in and why?
E: I’m most interested in fashion/beauty PR. There’s something so intriguing about an industry that is as quickly paced and competitive as fashion. It definitely helps that I have a complete obsession with the goings-on of the fashion and beauty industries. It’s a faction of PR that is both beautiful and calculated, tactical and glamorous at times. Most importantly, it’s the area that exhilarates me and pushes me to wake up each morning ready to work.


  • B: What is your dream job?

E: I’d have to say my dream job is the flip side of PR—I really love editorial work. My journey in school seems to mirror that of current Editor-in-Chief of Lucky, Eva Chen, and I’m inspired by her career. So I would have to say beauty editor at Teen Vogue leading into a role as Editor-in-Chief. Plus, it would give me a reason to exercise my signature look of a hot pink lip every day of the year.


  • B: You recently traveled to NYC for a fashion event, how was that experience?
E: It was wonderful! New York is a magical city, but it’s also about the hustle. I went straight from the airport to work, and the fast pace was exactly what I needed. Getting to help organize shows and meeting with designers in the Lingerie industry was incredible, and I’m so grateful to have gotten to work on such a well put together event for two seasons.


  • B: How important do you think having a mentor is in PR? Do you have a mentor?
E: I think it’s absolutely vital to have a mentor. This is the person who helps mold your career! I definitely do, and it is my current boss. It took me a while to realize that she was actually acting as a mentor to me and not just as my boss. She really taught me the value of attention to detail and how enthusiasm can completely turn around any activity. Even in overwhelming moments, she remains calm and enthusiastic about what she’s doing. It’s infectious and I truly believe it’s how she found success. I’ve certainly taken note of that.


  • B: I LOVE the name of your blog, Under PRessure, why did you decide to start a blog?
E: Thanks so much! I used to have a fashion blog in high school, and I really loved it. When I started college on a pre-med track, I was too busy to keep up with it. One of my friends, a PR major, wanted to start a blog but had never had one before. We decided to collaborate so we could share our respective academic experiences and to let other students know that there are other people out there going through the same issues in school and life. At the time, I was changing my major to English and wanted to give like-minded students the lessons and answers to questions I couldn’t find elsewhere. And the rest is history!


  • B: Any advice for those who are thinking of starting a blog?
E: Absolutely—my number one piece of advice is to be dedicated to your craft. Whether you only post once a week or a couple times a month, if you’re dedicated to what you’re writing about, it will be wonderful. Be consistent, but also genuine. Don’t write about the same things others are because they’re the ones getting page views. Growth takes time, and your genuine enthusiasm and dedication to posting and creating quality content will get you noticed.


  • B: And for my favorite question to ask, what song best describes your life right now and why?
E: This is a tough one but such a good question! I have a “life soundtrack” that changes with every season. There is one song that seems to pop up on a ton of my lists, though. It’s called “Young Dreams” by a group called Young Dreams. They’re a Norwegian collective. With lyrics like “we get it, like everyone else does, like sailors we set for the sea. We’re restless, that’s why we keep on moving; not empty because of our young dreams,” the song is uplifting and pretty accurately describes my place in life at the moment.


  • B: Anything else you’d like to add?
E: Yes! I really want to thank you, Brea, for asking me to do this! I’m really honored that there are other young/future pros that want to hear what I have to say! I think it’s so great that there is a network of young, like-minded professionals-to-be out in the blogosphere and twitterverse willing to connect and share advice. In a competitive field like PR, we could all be isolating each other. Instead, there are bloggers like you and the many I’ve connected with on Twitter so far who are looking to uplift and help each other. It’s a phenomenal support system, and I’m glad to be a part of it.

So please, to anyone reading this, don’t hesitate to ask any questions you may have! I’m always open to giving advice, and I know many of the other bloggers and PR pros-to-be are as well


Connect with Elise: Personal Twitter | Blog Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn | Email: elise@girls-underpressure.com


No comments:

Post a Comment