Monday, February 10, 2014

K-Pop Ruined My Life (Part 1 of 3): Girls Generation.

image

Every person has a turning point in their life whether it be for the bad or for the good. There comes a time when everything changes and nothing is the same nor will it ever be again. I know where that turning point was for me. It was the summer of 2009 and I can see it like it was yesterday.

If I could go back in time to where I was five years ago I would grab myself and give my butt a good round house kick into the library which is where I should have been—studying for Organic Chemistry, of course. But unfortunately such time travel technology does not exist and poor misguided old me is still sitting alone somewhere in Tampa, laptop in lap, falling into the trap that what would soon become the bane of her existence.

Hello, my name is Josey and I am addicted to K-pop.

According to the very reliable resource, Wikipedia, K-pop is defined as “a musical genre originating in South Korea that is characterized by a wide variety of audiovisual elements. Although it comprises all genres of “popular music” within South Korea, the term is more often used in a narrower sense to describe a modern form of South Korean pop music covering mostly dance-pop, pop ballad, electronic, rock, hip-hop, R&B, etc.”

So clinical. Straight forward. Innocent. But I’m going to let you know now that K-pop is So. Much. More. Than. That.

I’m really doing you guys a favor. I’m about to tell you all about the perils of K-pop. I’m going to save you because I would have wanted someone to do the same for me. You see I never had a chance. But I am reaching out this hand of help, love, and care to stop you from going down the road I am on. If just one person is spared then I know this will not have been done in vain.

So, I admit it. I have a problem. The first time I heard Girl’s Generation’s ‘Gee’ and watched the mesmerizing kaleidoscope of color that was the music video I thought to myself, “Gee, what a fun song. I don’t know what they’re talking about but this beat sure is catchy!”

If only I had known just how catchy it would be. Looking back now my innocence is laughable.

Warning: This video below contains visuals about a girl who is so crazy in love with a boy that she finds everything he does amazing. It’s too catchy and it’s not worth it…trust me!

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7mPqycQ0tQ]

Mannequins coming to life? A cute boy? Rainbow pants? I could dig it. Buuuut it was in a whole other language and the only word I understood was….Gee…and baby. So while it was fun sounding an d visually stimulating it simply wasn’t my cup of tea. Hence ‘Gee’ and Girl’s Generation alike soon faded off into obscurity for me. There was other music out there after all. Music that I understood.

But strangely a few months later I found myself humming the melody faintly under my breath as I tidied up around my apartment. What was this song again, I wondered. As I settled into bed for the night I thought that I’d just watch the video again, you know, just for the fun of it.

By the thirtieth click of the replay button I knew something was amiss. It was 3 am in the morning and I knew I had to go to sleep. “But wait…what is this? Girl’s Generation has more songs? What is this ‘Genie’ they speak of? Just one more video wouldn’t hurt, would it?…..”

Warning: The video below contains visuals about a girl who likens herself to a Genie, who is always there for her man granting every wish.

The catchy chorus that translates to “Tell me your wish” is sure to get stuck in your head. So, just don’t do it to yourself.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SwiSpudKWI]

The soul crushing screech of my alarm clock somehow brought me back to reality. I had spent the entire night watching Girl’s Generation videos. I fixed my dry, tired eyes on the red numbers flashing before me and couldn’t understand how one more video had become an all nighter that would be the first of many. Had I just stayed up all night watching music videos…In Korean??!!!??

I had opened up a can of worms called K-pop. Was it too late to close it? Did I want to?…To Be Continued

This post was written by Josein Wilson, who is a graduate of University of South Florida and is currently a student at Florida Atlantic University. When Josein isn’t at work, school or watching Korean drama’s online, you can find her practicing nail art and makeup looks via Youtube. Tweet her at @datgirljosey

Connect with Josein: Tumblr | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment